Thursday, December 24, 2009

On Saying, "Merry Christmas!"

I think I've changed my mind. Through most of my adult life I have resisted the “Merry Christmas” club. Not because I have anything against gift giving or having great family times, but the whole thing is born of pagan folly. This year, however, I’ve begun to look at it a bit differently.

“Christmas” is simply “Christ” (our Savior) plus “mas” (a coming together, as in the Catholic “mass”), and originated in the Roman Catholic attempt to assimilate pagans and their culture under the control of their Church. Hence my problem with the term/event.

As an aside, it is important to remember that the real miracle of the coming of Christ was not His birth/nativity (although there were certain miraculous things involved in that too!), but the real miracle took place at His conception. Being born of a virgin makes Him unique, indeed! Luke 1 gives the historical details necessary to locate the time of the conception of Jesus Christ as being in late December. Hence the pagans attempt to commandeer that season for their own corrupted ends.

But now it has become “politically incorrect” to use the “Merry Christmas” greeting. Employees, for example, are told not to mention “Christmas,” but instead to say, “Happy Holidays.” But herein lies a bit of humor: The word “holiday” comes from “holy” (as in, holy is the Lord) plus “day.”

I find it ironically amazing that our language is so rooted in Biblical tradition that even the attempts to root out every reference to the Savior falls so flat on its face. Oh, the worldly wise don’t get it, but I’m sure the God of Heaven finds such things amusing (as should we)!

So I’ve put “merry Christmas” back into my vocabulary—just for the fun of it. Cynthia has been saying it to store employees just to see their reaction! When they respond, “happy holidays,” we just ask if they are believers too! Its made the shopping lots of fun.

Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Dean said...

Hello Brother,
I thought Christmas is Christ's Mass? That is what I've been told by catholic priests. Is being in Grace to mean that we can incorporate error even if it means to try to do good? Did'nt Paul say to use him and those who walk so as an ensample? Where does Paul participate in worldly practices in scripture? ( I'm not trying to be a smart alec) The misfortune that I see at this time of year is people saying that their loving the"baby Jesus", but that is not who brings us salvation. It is The Risen Saviour. Forgive me for sounding ungraceful, it just caught me off guard concerning your statement. God's Grace to you and your family,
Dean

Josh Strelecki said...

Paul also speaks about regarding a day unto the Lord or not regarding a day unto the Lord: Romans 14. How you regard or don't regard the day is a freedom issue. If you regard the day may it be unto the Lord and if you don't regard the day may it be unto the Lord. I think Romans 14 will brake your guard concerning the holiday.

Dean said...

"And be not conformed unto this world" "set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth" Christ was born in September,and in Romans 14, I don't think Paul was referring to being involved with error or overlooking it. Christmas is an man made "holiday" which is contrary to 1Ti 1:10, 2Ti 4:3,Tit 1:9 and 2:1. "a little leaven leaventh the whole lump"

Kathleen said...

Hello I would like to know how the Bible says we should handle Christmas since it truly is a pagan holiday would it be an abomination to Jesus? With all of our freedom and grace given to us I hate to live a lie. So what is it Richrd, what's the saved sinner to do?

rita.erie said...

I'm not Richard, but will share something I did one year simply to use the occasion as an ambassador for Christ. I sent out a few cards saying, "Let's Celebrate Conception Day!"

rita.erie said...

One year, in order to use the occasion of the upcoming holiday, I sent out a number of cards saying, "Let's Celebrate the Conception!"