Monday, February 25, 2008

"No Country"

I never watch the Oscar’s. Not only is it too boring, we go to church on Sunday nights! We haven’t “gone dark” like so many have. In fact, our Sunday evening meeting is a really great time both in fellowship and the Word. I wouldn’t miss it!

Today I noticed that “No Country For Old Men” won lots of stuff. I (like most people!) haven’t seen the movie. It isn’t the kind of movie Cynthia would enjoy (way too dark) and besides we don’t get out to the movies much, and when we do, they tend to be animated movies; something to do with the two small humans who spend time with us.

I did read the book some time ago and have to say that Tommy Lee Jones is one of my favorite actors. I doubt there is another actor today who could play Sheriff “Ed Tom” Bell--an aging cowboy sheriff coming to terms with the fact that his time has come and gone—and with the necessary edge of humor and authenticity, deliver lines like:

Wendell: It’s a mess, ain’t it, sheriff?
Ed Tom Bell: If it ain’t, it’ll do till the mess gets here.


One of my favorite lines comes when he tells another old-timer that things in 1980s America just aren’t the same anymore:

Ed Tom Bell: It starts when you begin to overlook bad manners. Anytime you quit hearing “sir”
and “ma’am,” the end is pretty much in sight.

I've been telling folks that for years! No wonder I liked that book!!

Maranatha!

1 comment:

Randy Scharf said...

Thanks Rick
Blogs like this help me realize that the grace movement is larger than Plantation. Six hours in Macy’s drinking coffee and hearing stories about the faithful men of our past and this blog help to motivate me to be as faithful as they were in spite of who I am. For guys like me who have no clue of our history these really help. I can now look back and say not only did I get to hear Roy Lange preach but I also know Richard Jordan and count him as a friend.
Randy