Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Servant Heart

I was looking at John 4:34 a few moments ago:

"Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work."

What sustained and nourished our Lord during His earthly sojourn was simply to faithfully perform that which had been marked out for Him by His father. That reminds us that "it is only through selflessness and service that God wrings from our bodies and spirits the most we ever could give, the most we ever could offer, and the most we ever could do."

1 comment:

JB said...

How does one get to the point of what you just mentioned? Sure, most of us have our "up" times; spiritually soaring, and soaking up every word of God to "conform" to the image, to live the doctrines, to be steadfast in word and deed, to be truly hungry for growth and intimacy. Getting "there" has never been a problem - sustaining is another story.

Maybe it is just habit. The Lord Jesus Christ made it habit, no? I believe you mentioned to me one time, "Get into the habit of.."

I've had many habits, and the one habit I truly want gets choked out.

... To live for and to die for, are both costly. But only one of the two is easy.