Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Something You Should Know: A Special Announcement

Last Sunday I announced to our local congregation (and those joining us via the internet) that I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I’ve been watching my PSA (prostate specific antigen) levels the past four or five years, have had two biopsies, the last one was in June and came up positive.

Fortunately this has been caught at an early stage and the prognosis for successful treatment is good. I have had a battery of tests and the doctors have settled on surgically implanting a radiated pellet into the tumor, intending, of course, to kill the cancer cells. This procedure is scheduled for October 29.

For some time I have been making nutritional/natural based efforts to deal with this and will continue with these approaches. Cancer is a sly enemy, so we are seeking to cover all the bases, both to eliminate the immediate threat and militate against future reoccurrences.

Times like these demonstrate the “family” aspect of our work. I appreciate the outpouring of concern, prayers and support for me, for my family and for the ministry we share together. Two things I would like to emphasis in that regard:

First, lets make sure that every man over 50 gets a regular PSA test. Prostate cancer is a leading killer of men; it is far more dangerous when it manifests in your 50’s and it is most often successfully treated when caught early. So, get tested!

On a personally level, one of the greatest things you can do is to continue your support of our work both at Shorewood and Grace Impact Ministries. I expect to continue for the present with a full schedule of ministry and travel. Your partnership is a needed and heartfelt encouragement.

I have lived in the grip and proclaimed the riches of God’s wonderful grace for well over four decades, and this will be another opportunity to enjoy the sufficiency of that grace and the power of God’s Word to sustain and give victory in all things (II Cor. 4:7-18).

You can listen to my Sunday morning message on “God’s Word In the Face of Cancer” at the ShorewoodBibleChurch.org site. I’ll be in Oregon next week for the conference there but will be back at Shorewood on September 30 and will conclude that message then. I hope these studies will encourage and challenge you. From time to time, I’ll have more to say about life with cancer.

Marantha!

6 comments:

desert trail runner said...

RJ, The Markosians have you, Cynthia, Rick and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

It's so good to be a Pauline bible believer in times like this!

Nick

schooner said...

Dear Richard , just read your blog , 2 cor :9 & 10 always fills me with such rest so i want to thank you so much . I live in the UK and the messages I receive from your web along with your other teachers have led me to right division NO TEACHINGS ANYWHERE IN BRITAIN it has cleared away all confusion and I just want to say keep on keeping on because the Gospel has all but been hijacked in the uk by all kinds of perversions so keep preaching the truth brother to spread the Word
Thankyou so much

Unknown said...

Hello Pastor Richard, Our family just finished moving from Chicago to New York and got our new computer cable connection today. I am so sad to hear about your diagnosis. I will pray for you. I was just listening to one your tapes on Profiles of the Grace Life from 2005. Dug is out of a box while unpacking. The message was just what I needed. Thank you for your devotion to God’s Word and the humor in which you teach. I think you have such a wonder way of delivering God’s Word and love. I know it’s seems stupid to say but some of the toughest times in my life have brought me closer to God. I hope and pray that God will give you MORE strength and humor and love than ever before as you tackle the cancer and get through this difficult time. With love Donna

Richard Jordan said...

I've received scores of emails and calls (even been getting boxes filled with "cures") and want to thank everyone for their prayers and concern. God's grace is a soft pillow to rest on!

Linda said...

"Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and hast fenced me with bones and sinews." Job 10.11

We need you...as Paul says to the Philippians, "Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you." 1.24

We are praying your fence holds for many, many years.

Indeed our hearts and prayers go with you and your family in the coming days.

Linda

faithplusnothing said...

I will be praying for you. Thank you so much for your clear messages of grace. I have only been a believer for a few years but through your messages, I am excited about learning more about Jesus and how he paid my penalty once and for all.I have enjoyed your programs and your audio sermons very much. I pray for your healing and for you and your family at this time.