Friday, December 7, 2007

Pearl Harbor Day

Today is Pearl Harbor Day, a day to "live in infamy." It was our parent's generation's "911." It also resulted in what has become known as "the Greatest Generation" taking the field. Would that a similar generation were among us!

Today, Pearl Harbor Day reminds me of two things:

First, I'll turn 60 tomorrow! Hardly seems possible, but it is true. I can remember when 50 seemed over the hill. Hey, I can remember when 30 did too! But time changes all that. One's life is often broken up into 20 year brackets, with the 60-80(?) period labels with a title of eldership (or some such equivalent). It is true that your perspective changes--matures, you like to think--with the experience that the passing years provide. I taught Galatians 6:1 on a recent Sunday evening and one brother told me afterward, "I can't believe how much wisdom you have." I couldn't either! At least the perspective of experience gives a richness to the words on the page.

Several years ago a dear friend wrote to exhort me that I hadn't really suffered enough to appreciate the depth of the truths we proclaim. As I grow older, I remember that exhortation and find nothing but truth in it. How wonderful it is to not just grow older but to grow in grace and knowledge of our wonderful Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

The other thing I am reminded about is water boarding. Now that is an odd topic, I realize, but is one I've intended to comment on. I have been struck by the recent hesitation to acknowledge water boarding to be what it in fact is: a ancient and time tested method of torture. Anyone familiar with the techniques of the Inquisition will recognize its use by the papists in their campaign to force recantations from those they branded heretics. I recognize there are political considerations that make some desire to hedge on this point, but its simply nonsense. Even if there were a justifiable reason to use it, water boarding is torture. Not to admit that is to play the fool.

The reason I mention this is that while having the seed implant procedure I was reminded how horrendous such a thing can be. No, I wasn't water boarded! No even close. The folks talking care of me were more than wonderful. BUT: while being prepared to be "put under," the doctor put a mask on my face. All of a sudden my anxiety level wentout the roof. The sensation of my sinuses filling was overwhelming; my lungs seemed to be totally useless. My reaction caused the attendants to immediately remove the mast, increase the dosage of the dream potion and in seconds I was wonderfully asleep. It was, however, an emotionally anchoring experience that has left me with the jitters every time I relive it.

My experience is only a very, very, very, very mild comparison to real water boarding (no matter what the actual technique used). But I can testify to the fact that it is torture, even if politicians will not admit it in order to cover their political assets.

I'm really not too concerned about the political mud slinging over this issue. But as a believer I'm aware that the potential in passages like II Timothy 1:8 and 2:3,4 is all too real. We have brothers and sisters around this planet who are daily subjected to real persecution--yes, torture--for their stand for the Saviour. The day is closer at hand that this will be true in our land. Water boarding has been used for that purpose before; it may be again.

My conviction has always been that we should be standing for Christ all along. That way when the time comes when we need to "take a stand" we will already be standing! Even if it means water boarding.

Maranatha!

No comments: