Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Morning Breeze

Cynthia and I awoke this morning to the crisp, clear air of the Gulf of Mexico blowing into our window and the gentle waves lapping the shore. I could do this every morning. It is without doubt my favorite setting. The Gulf is a warm and inviting setting, more so than most any other. We, of course, were born and raised here so I must admit to a bit of prejudice.

Mobile Bay is the site of a number of famous naval battles, not the least of which began with the famous epitaph, “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!” Cynthia’s parents have a home on the bay and it is where we stay when we come for a visit.

Yesterday morning we took Dan with us to O’Hare and he went on by train to Union Station in downtown Chicago. His Amtrack train back to California wasn’t until late afternoon so he was going to do some sight seeing. Chicago is a great place for that!
It was a treat to have him journey all the way from southern Cal to attend Shorewood! Don’t get many visitors that do that—although we have regulars who drive from Indiana and Wisconsin each week. Dan does Brother Verstegen’s PalTalk and website audio ministries. He is seems to be in constant contact with folks from around the country. He has strange stories of helping people get “unlost” in cities across the nation via I-M’s and GoogleEarth. He also is a champion for the faith and great help to many in the things of the Word. Hope is made the train ok and by now is almost home! He’ll have lots of tails to tell “Kurly” and the saints there.

I talked to Mel yesterday before leaving Chicago. He has been in the hospital a week now and they finally think they found his problem. They drained a cyst in his intestinal track and he seems to be getting better. Expects to go home Tuesday or so. The Veterans hospital he is in (Hines) is an excellent facility and gives wonderful care. Much different than 20 years ago, for which we should all be grateful. If the government is going to care for anyone, it should be our veterans!

We’ll be here till next Monday. I’m doing a big wedding for my niece next Saturday, which will be a great opportunity to give the gospel to a large host of folks I’d otherwise never meet; then Sunday I get to preach at Forest Park Bible Church. David, Stacy and the boys are coming Thursday, so that will be great. After full days last Friday, Saturday and Sunday (I put the next Grace Journal to bed about 9:30 Sunday evening—made Dan wait after service while I finished!) and then the traveling yesterday, I’m glad to be having a down day today. Only thing I have to do today is take my father-in-law and get us haircuts.

One bummer: I brought my laptop, of course, so I could work but somehow forgot my VerisonWireless card. Dumb move. Don’t understand how it happened. Now I’m reduced to dial up—sort of like going back to the stone age. Boy do we get spoiled quickly!

Maranatha!

1 comment:

blifit said...

It's been a long time since I had the opportunity to visit the grace impact home page. My wife lets me use her new laptop.My wife started going to my Mother in Laws church. She has been sharing (rightly dividing) with them. Shocking they have been listening so I started going to the Sunday School classes and they have been receptive of the truth. There congregation is small and we are new. As long as we see the Holy Spirit working on their behalf we will continue to teach the truth. The Holy Spirit has taught me how to approach Doctrine in a way that doesn't offend others through past mistakes. May God bless our Church witch is our home. I look forward to visiting the Grace sight to learn more.. May God Bless.....blifit..