Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunny Days In Ohio

I am sitting in the first Sunday morning meeting of the conference in Ohio at the Amish Door Inn . Its been a wonderful weekend. The setting is beautify and lush. Attendance has filled the room to capacity from the opening session and the messages have been clear and powerful. For a first time conference, all the work and sacrifice the sponsoring churches have invested has been richly rewarded. This is a conference that will certainly become an annual event.

My physical condition seems to be backing up a bit. I've begun to experience some new discomfort. Cynthia is watching me like a hawk--she actually is a bit upset with me at the moment for pressing too hard the last week or so (especially in the after meeting last night). She did promise we could kiss and make up soon! We brought our 6 year old grand daughters with us. I spent two hours in the pool with them yesterday! A rare event for me--only grand kids could get me to do that!!! I should have spent the time taking a nap.....

I speak next. Paul Parisi is teach now--doing a good job on "Understanding All Things" from II Timothy 2:7. We will have lunch together (BBQ) and most will depart for home. A few of us will spend the afternoon and evening here relaxing and enjoying the resort. I'll do my best to get some rest before the drive home.

A number of folks at the conference have told me they are reading this blog--so 'hi!' to them. There are also a number of folks who tell me they watch the Shorewood services via the Internet. There is no reason for anyone to be a "stranded" grace believer in this computer connected age! I mention this to say that the reason I have my computer out is to check the SBC services--I may be away but my heart is always at home. This is the one Sunday in years that Alex and I are both away--he is at the conference in Seattle. Matt Walker and Ron Sorg are doing the teaching today. Things are in good hands without us; we just don't want them to get used to that!

Have a great Memorial Day. Hug a vet and say thanks.

Maranatha!

4 comments:

matt said...

Hi Richard, hope you feel better. The following is not related to your post, but I thought of you when I read this because I remember you saying or writing that you like Dennis Prager and I was wondering if you read this recent column of his and what you thought, especially, of his comment I pasted below. It seems a bit of a swipe or a below the belt hit. But, I think I understand where he is coming from, in regards to the Ca. Supreme Court decision. About men, not seeming to be willing to hear anything different from their own views. I'll paste the link to the column too (if you are interested). That's all. Matt Hampton, Va.

"...Which leads to a third reason such a sea change could be so cavalierly imposed by four individuals -- the modern supplanting of wisdom with compassion as the supreme guide in forming society's values and laws. Just as for religious fundamentalists, "the Bible says" ends discussion,..."

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/DennisPrager/2008/05/20/california_decision_will_radically_change_society

Richard Jordan said...

Howdy, Matt! Thanks for the headsup on the Prager article. I read it and it does demo his capacity for intellecutal argumentation! I suppose the comment you mention could be taken as a swipe--but it is, after all, true! As Bible Believers our world view is a bit more absolute than human reasonings will attain! "The Bible says" may not "end the discussion" for us, but it certainly does end the search for truth/right and wrong!

This stuff on marriage doesn't really surprise me. Once the foundational moorings are cut, society has no other direction to drift in. Marriage is neither a governmental or church institution--it is a creation institution. It came directly off the drawing board of heaven. No human would have ever dream up something as wonderul. What man does with it is demonstrated in this court's ruling. Peter Marshall called it "The halls of the hightest human happiness." I whole heartedly agree! Bet you do too!! But that's the divine viewpoint--and only then possible by the obedience of faith to walk in the grace life.

matt said...

You probably are aware of it already brother Richard but if you aren't and are interested, the article link here is about a school text book controversy in Alabama. The controversial item is a book which supposedly teaches bible literacy. According to the article though, the book undermines and will undermine faith in the bible as God's Word. Matt--Hampton, Va.


http://www.townhall.com/columnists/
PaulWeyrich/2008/05/29/
withdrawal_of_bible_literacy_
project_endorsement

Deborah (Hickinbotham) Collins said...

Hi, Richard!

I was at the Ohio conference, and it couldn't have been more wonderful, but one thing stands out above all the others...I finally got to meet YOU! Thanks for all you've done to edify me and the rest of the Body!

I hope you'll be feeling better soon!