Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Year Ago Today

A year ago today (November 5) I had 89 radiated “seeds” implanted into my prostate gland. It wasn’t a real good day! I had never been sedated before—never even been to the hospital except for a few outpatient tests. The first thing I remember after awakening is a nurse standing at my feet with a Geiger Counter! When I asked her what she was doing, she told me they had to get a radiation reading. “But you didn’t put them in my feet!” was my reply. Still makes sense to me!

Anyway, it took about a week and a half for the radiation symptoms to begin to appear. Don’t worry, though, because the immediate aftermath of the implants was misery enough to carry me through until the impact of the radiation began to appear. I mostly recall it as a “site-specific” miserable experience.

It was not until January that the pain levels subsided enough to call them “no real problem,” and it wasn’t until the August/September time frame that the chronic fatigue began to become simply fatigue. It is actually much better at this point—a year later. Doctors don’t seem to understand why it has lingered so long; but it has!

I am happy to report that my doctor reports I am doing very well. My PSA numbers are the lowest they have been in five years (if we can trust the current tests—which he isn’t sure he can, yet!! Wheeee!!! They don’t call it the “practice of medicine” for no reason). The pains are mostly gone and my energy level allows me to work 40-50 hours a week (not back to the 60+ level just yet).

Also, all the bills are paid so far. They do keep dribbling in, but they are paid. This is thanks mainly to so many friends who generously contributed to the Medical Fund established to help with this. My health insurance had (in fine print on page 23 of the 24 page policy) an exclusion clause for just the problem I experienced! “Standard practice,” they informed my, for men over 50.

So there you have the annual update. One thing: If you are or have in your life a man who is 50 or older, get an annual PSA test. It is a simple blood tests, takes only minutes and costs about $100. Every man will eventually have prostate problems; the only way to know if it is cancer is via the PSA test. Having it annual is the only reason I caught mine in a very early stage and thus have a high probability of successful treatment. So: get the test done annually.

The reason I started blogging was to keep folks up-to-date on my progress. I have enjoyed the outlet and will keep doing it even without the need for an “organ recital” on my health. Thanks for visiting and reading and commenting. Its enjoyable to keep in touch this way.

My dad used to say, when he would hear someone longing for “the good old days,” that "these may be bad times, but they are only times we are given--and despair is no an option." I agree. I have learned not to get my comfort from the “odds of recovery,” or any such foolishness. My comfort comes from the God of All Comfort and is founded on the excellency of the power of the Word of His grace to us in Christ Jesus. II Cor. 4:7-18 and Romans 8:18-39 and Eph. 3:13-21 become part of one’s experience when you don’t waste your cancer/problems, but use it as an opportunity to trust in the living God!

As Paul says, “Not I, but Christ.” That’s the reality. My weakness is where His strength is made perfect. PTL! Without that need, there would be no appropriation into our experience of the blessings of our identity in Christ Jesus. And who would want to miss that!

Maranatha!

4 comments:

Laura Ross said...

Good to hear and I pray you will continue in good health!
Thanks so much for your site and blog. They are indeed an encouragement.
Laura

Unknown said...

Its a blessing to hear that your doing well, our prayers are with you here at Grace School of the bible in Plantation, Fl. Pastor Jordan, I want you to know I am continuing to persevere in my studies I'm in the second year now and dealing with life's issues, raising a family but continuing to endure in the faith, thank you for your years of dedication to the truth, my prayer is that God would use me as the same kind of warrior that stands firm and declares with boldness the revelation given to Paul for us today! God bless you and your family.

Tony Pupo
2 Tim 2:15

matt said...

Just some comments I thought were interesting and maybe you might find them so, too. By columnist Don Feder, about why Jews don't vote in their best interest, which would be voting Republican, according to Feder. Any, the comment and link. Glad the treatment has been successful. Matt

"The Tragic Predictability of the Jewish Vote"

"...But Republicans, many of them serious Christians, see themselves as the standard-bearers of our Judeo-Christian heritage. How does that work when the descendants of those who stood at Sinai reject them?

The answer: Those Jews also reject the Judeo-Christian ethic and the historic mission of the Jewish people – to repair the world under the rule of God..."

http://www.grasstopsusa.com/df111708.html

Bob Carpenter said...

Dear Brother Rick,

My wife and I are tickled to hear that God is beating your cancer! We know it's Him because I am a survivor of AML leukemia, contracted in 1997 and relapsed in 2000. By the grace of God and the result of prayers worldwide, I have been cancer free for 8 years now.

Because of the changes the Lord Jesus Christ has made in us, we will pray for your health now that we know. The world needs your teaching in the worst kind of way.

We are also very glad to hear of Forgotten Truths being on the internet now because we do not have satellite TV and have been enjoying your old programs on DVD.

Please keep up the good work, but be careful not work yourself to death....we need your teaching and guidance.

God bless you,
Bob Carpenter