Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I'm Back--Sorta

It has obviously been a good while since I have posted here. Not that I haven't thought about it, but I can only get so many things done in a day. Frankly, one thing that has taken my energy is my FaceBook page. If you want daily up-dates, that's probably the place to go now. Type in my name, look for my picture among all those who share it and Friend me.

If you don't do fb, well, then there might be enough here to keep you abreast of things. I started blogging after I began my cancer treatments. It was a general way to answer questions about how I was doing. I never intended this to be a "study" site. Now that fb is filling that role, my blog largely got crowded out. I haven't lost interest; just took another route to fulfill that purpose.

So, what to do with this site. I think the best thing will be to put some of my random thoughts here; things that don't really fit on fb. I can link them to fb so folks there can know about them. A blog gives more space and liberty, so I will put some energy back here.

For example: today I finally completed the type setting/editing/lay out for a new study guide. I've been doing a series for TV called Through the Bible In Seven Hours. It is an adaptation of our 7 Mondays seminar. I prepared a study guide to offer viewers and didn't realize how demanding its production was going to be!

Matt Walker made a nice cover for it and now we are getting it printed. The programs start airing in March, I believe, so we'll be sending them out (free of charge to views, by the way) in the next few weeks. Actually, we have already gotten calls for it from our cable version of the broadcast! That really got Debbie excited, since she doesn't have it yet to send out! Next week. Be patient one more week!

I'll be in Michigan next week to make the last two programs (two shows equal one hour, so the series is 14 weeks long) and need to deliver the first 500 then.

Actually, if my car wasn't in the shop I'd have the printing almost done today. But it is in for some needed repairs. My '03 has 134k miles; Cynthia's '01 has 155k. Both have lots of Duck Tape and bailing wire on them!

Tomorrow I'll get the cover printed and then we'll bind them on Thursday and Friday. Busy, hands-on week! It is good to have a number of volunteers to help with such tasks.

I also should tell you that over the past four or five months I've lost 40+ pounds--on purpose. So if you see pictures of me with a lighter look, it is not a health issue but one of purposeful determination. Cynthia has lost almost as much as I have and looks great--lots better than me, of course. A number of you have asked me what/how we did this and I'lltry to explain it soon. It was, actually, the easiest and most effective thing we've ever done to loose weight.

One more thing: I'm enjoying receiving emails/web items from some of saints in the Philippines. Years ago, Nancy Leach began sending our teaching tapes to Filipinos who were studying for the ministry--she actually did this for some time before I knew about it. These tapes have had a wide circulation over the years and those who studied them took the doctrinal edification to heart and have made amazing progress. When Dan Gross spent some years there they had a rallying point and made good advancements. Today there is an active fellowship of what they term "Pure Grace" believers.

The so-called grace movement has been in the Philippines since the 1950's but in more recent years it was formed into a denominational type system. Naturally, when you have such a development you have to either "join" the system--and tow the line--or work from the "outside." I have visited the Republic of the Philippines (RP) twice and discovered that there is a vibrant, lively grace movement independent of the denominationalized group. It is among these saint that what they term "pure grace" doctrine has taken solid root and is producing marvelous fruit.

We have, by the way, a number of graduates of GSB there. My last visit was highlighted by an moving commencement service (along with three day Bible conference!) for a large number of graduates. If you have any acquaintance with the Filipino people you couldn't help but be impressed by their quick intellect and intense determination. Our many friends there have progressed onward with the doctrines of grace--going beyond simple mid-Acts dispensationalism into the "grace life" it is designed to instill in us. These emails have been a benediction to my heart as they give abundant witness to how carefully, fully and clearly some of these brethren have become in defending and proclaiming these grand grace truths!

Very few things really impress me. One thing, however, that always catches my attention is a spirit determined to press toward the mark regardless of what others do, whether supported by others or not. Watching some of these brothers debate issues like the trustworthiness of the King James Bible, prayer, healing and do so with real thoughtful insight coupled with a gracious spirit; well, it is doing my heart good!

And the really great thing is I do not actually personally know most of these men! I remember meeting only a couple of them--and at that over a decade ago! They are not following "Jordan," they're following the apostle Paul! The grace-denominational brethren have opposed them, threatened them, villified them ("they are infected with the virus of Jordanism!"--a scary, deadly thing, indeed!!), etc. to no avail. God give us more like them!

Anyway, that's enough for now. You can see that when I get started I can go on and on and on!

C/ya soon,

Maranatha!
Phil. 1:21

1 comment:

ambassador said...

Enjoyed the post! I've met some of those grace brethren from the Philippines on facebook. They're really determined indeed! We all need to be more like them!