Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Five Things I Do Every Day

There are five things I do every day. I know it isn't a good idea to ever say "every" or "never" for there are always going to be exceptions--but they actually "prove the rule" (if the rule is general enough!). For the past four decades, however, the days in which these things were not present are so few as to be unrememberable.

What are these things? Actually they are just the fundamental flow of a happy life. I discovered them long after doing them, that is, I one day realize what I was already doing that filled my life with joy. They are: get up in the morning, eat, spend time with the Lord (via His Word and prayer), spend time with my wife (i.e., have some meaningful communication together) and then go to bed. There, that's it! Everything else I do (and there's plenty of that!) simply fits around those five verities.

Now I know this doesn't sound profound. But life isn't make up of the profound, its made up of the little things that matter. At least a happy, joyful life is. When I conclude the day, I think back over its events and if these things are in good order I rejoice. If I have allowed one to be crowded out, I feel the loss and repent!

One thing I've learned is to look for and at core issues. The "simplicity that is in Christ" is a guiding standard for me. This, for me, is my deliverance from "the bareness of business."

Maranatha!

1 comment:

Lking said...

Thank You for your insight!
These five things are the important ones, but in my case, my husband and I have really meaningful communications!